Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Exploring Internships

INTERNSHIPS…Although sometimes it is hard to find an internship that fits...It is worth the time it takes applying, and searching. There are many places to find internships, here are two I use:

1. The Baldwin-Wallace College Career Network, here you can find a listing of internships, a brief description of the company, requirements such as major or experience.

2. Clevelandintern.net is similar to the BWCN but the job posting are not postings called directly to our office, but they include a lot of Cleveland Area companies that have available positions.

I created an account with Clevelandintern.net three years ago, I forgot I had an account with Clevelandintern.net, but this past summer 2010 I got a call from a company who reviewed my resume and called me for an interview. Unfortunately their schedule conflicted with mine because I was taking classes in the summer, but the point is I got an interview without even applying to the job. This is a great tool because many companies in the Cleveland Area are searching this database looking for candidates and resumes and setting up interviews.

To me…Internships are important…not only because they are a resume booster…You can gain hands on experience…apply in classroom learning…test drive to see if you like the career path… and learn from a professional environment...

If you leave a positive, lasting impression on your supervisor it can sometimes lead to a full-time position, or can provide great recommendations.

If you need a little more direction in seeking internships you can attend an Exploring Internship Workshop which will help you learn strategies for searching, applying and securing an internship.

Exploring Internship Workshop:

· September 30, 2010 11:45-12:45 p.m. Kamm 106

· November 11, 2010 11:45-12:45 p.m. Sandstone I